The Getty Pre-doctoral and Post-doctoral Fellowships are intended for emerging scholars to complete work on projects related to the Getty Research Institute’s annual research theme, African American Art History Initiative, or Paul Revere Williams Research Project.
Recipients may be in residence at the Getty Research Institute or Getty Villa, where they pursue research projects, complete their dissertations, or expand dissertation for publication. Fellows make use of the Getty collections, join in a weekly lecture devoted to an annual theme, and participate in the intellectual life of the Getty.
The application deadline is October 03, 2022.
About Getty Foundation
The Getty Foundation fulfills the philanthropic mission of the Getty Trust by supporting individuals and institutions committed to advancing the greater understanding and preservation of the visual arts in Los Angeles and throughout the world. Through strategic grant initiatives, it strengthens art history as a global discipline, promotes the interdisciplinary practice of conservation, increases access to museum and archival collections, and develops current and future leaders in the visual arts. It carries out its work in collaboration with the other Getty Programs.
Benefits of the Pre-doctoral and Post-doctoral Fellowships Program
Below are the benefits the fellows stand to enjoy
- Getty Predoctoral Fellowships are for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $30,000.
- Getty Postdoctoral Fellowships are for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $35,000.
In addition to the above, fellows in both programs may enjoy the following:
- a workspace at the Getty Research Institute or the Getty Villa,
- an apartment in the Getty scholar housing complex,
- travel stipend, and
- healthcare benefits.
These terms apply as of June 2022 and the terms and length of grants are subject to change. Health and safety guidelines for grantees may also be imposed.
Below are the eligibility criteria:
- Applications for Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships are welcome from scholars of all nationalities.
- Current Getty staff and members of their immediate family are not eligible for Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships.
- Getty Predoctoral Fellowship applicants must have advanced to candidacy by the application deadline and should expect to complete their dissertations during the fellowship period. Successful Predoctoral Fellowship applicants who are awarded their degree after the application deadline but before the fellowship begins, or who receive their doctorate while in residence, automatically become Postdoctoral Fellows.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship applicants who received their degree before September 1, 2019 should apply for a Getty Scholar Grant.
Required Documents for Application
If you are looking to submit your application, you need the following documents
- Project Proposal
- Selected Bibliography
- Doctoral Dissertation Plan or Abstract
- Curriculum Vitae
- Writing Sample
- Confirmation letter by the deadline.
- Two letters of recommendation
How to Apply
Applicants are required to complete and submit the online fellowship application form by the deadline. For more details about the program and details on how to submit your application, visit the Getty Foundation website.