Africa has an endless pool of talented filmmakers, but they often face a lot of challenges throughout the production process, especially when it comes to financing post-production costs. To help to minimize this problem, the Africa No Filter (ANF) is launching the Last Mile Film Fund for African filmmakers who are working on the last steps of their projects. The Last Mile Film Fund offers grants of up to $15,000 for feature-length films and up to $10,000 for short films.
Films must have appealing storylines that challenge stereotypical narratives of Africa. The grant, which is open to applicants in the continent and the diaspora, will fund narrative-changing films that are in the final stages of production. Films must have appealing storylines that challenge stereotypical narratives of Africa and should be ready for completion and premiere by 31 August 2023. The application deadline is 20th September 2022
Eligibility Criteria for Last Mile Film Fund?
To be eligible, applicants and films must meet the requirements below
- Short and feature-length fiction, documentary or animation films at the final stages of production, including post-production (editing, visual effects, sound mixing, dubbing…), marketing and distribution, etc.
- The grant can cover post-production activities in full. However, if the cost of the post-production activities is more than the grant amount, the applicant must show evidence of confirmed funding for the excess amount from another source.
- The fund is open to filmmakers based in the continent and the diaspora, and the project needs to be African led.
- The production company must demonstrate that they have the authority and capacity to submit the project and hold all the rights in and to the project and its related materials.
- All films must be submitted in their original language or subtitled in English. Only applications sent through the online application form available on our website will be accepted.
- Films must challenge a prevailing negative stereotype about or within Africa or reflect a refreshing, more contemporary and nuanced narrative of the continent, along with a storyline that is compelling to a broad audience both at the pan-African level and internationally.
ANF will not consider the following applications:
- Incomplete applications which lack supporting materials and documents.
- Applications submitted via post or e-mail.
- Films that will be completed after 31 August 2023.
- Short and feature-length films that are in development or production phases.
- Films that reinforce the stereotypical and outdated views on Africa by addressing the recurring themes around poverty, poor leadership, weak governance, violence, terrorism, disease, etc.
How to Apply for Last Mile Film Fund?
To submit your application for the Last Mile Film Fund, visit the application page.
For more information about the fund, visit the Last Mile Film Fund website.